Tuesday, September 22, 2009

idea with some flesh

So, to expand upon the idea of filming people's miniature movements, I've picked out some spaces, a model to film, and a color scheme. The film will be focused around the actions of smoking and getting ready to go somewhere (applying makeup, etc.) I want it to be a character study, seeing how I can show some of the character of a person by the way that they do certain small tasks. I'd like to document these simple actions, does her foot nervously swing when she smokes? Does she speak differently with a cigarette? hand motions, eye motions, all of these minute actions that go into another small action. I'd like this film to have a voyeuristic feel, like we are watching something very personal-especially the bathroom make-up shots. Maybe I could shoot through a window or between cracks in the door. I'd also really like to learn how to achieve a strong mirror shot. This will also be a good experiment in editing and compressing time as this could get really boring really quickly. I'd like to try some Godard-Breathless style jumpy cuts for this part. Another thing I would like to learn through this assignment is how to make things look like super-8 home movie footage, I think this aesthetic would go well with the subtle concept, and I'd like this to look as much like film as possible. Maybe shooting in this square format could also be interesting? like a slide show...


Here's some test photos to help visualize the aesthetic I'm going for...

these spaces/greenish color scheme-



this model-




THIS KIND OF EDITING

1 comment:

  1. I think this is a really strong idea. I have a good idea of your aesthetic and i think that mixing smooth transitions with jumpy ones will create good contrast. I would think about more ways to incorporate the mirror into the shot, maybe more than one mirror? I think the square format with the vignette gives a very voyeuristic feel to the shots. I also think you should use a series of very tight unrevealing shots to illustrate the minute movements and actions. Overall, i think this is a very strong idea.

    ReplyDelete