Wednesday, September 16, 2009

reading and ideas

"Values become engulfed in miniature and miniature causes men to dream"

"On the other hand, the planetary image of Bohr's atom-in scientific thinking, if not in a few indigent, harmful evaluations of popular philosophy-is a pure synthetic construct of mathematical thoughts. In Bohr's planetary atom, the little central sun is
not hot."

1.) Taking a very small motion, like someone's hand fidgeting, or the little hairs on top of their heads moving in the wind and combining this with a very scientific graph could be interesting. I like this idea of "mathematical thoughts." Is there a way to map the world around us in a way that is mathematical only to the person thinking the thoughts? Maybe an exposure of the different ways people notice and approach situations. I could film normal, mundane movements of someone sitting down, and have somebody else with a voiceover analyzing the situation and essentially verbally mapping out what is happening as they see it.

"But he entered into a miniature world and right away images began to abound, then grow, then escape....large issues from small...thanks to liberation from obligations of dimensions"

2.)This quote immediately makes me think of disproportional things, and believability in a film. It also makes me question the "truth" of cinema, and I think that it is important for films to do that, whether in a subtle or big way. This could be a good excuse to continue with my experiments with cut-outs, to see if I could create a world with minimal movement, and much distortion. Basically, I would continue to cut out and make "actors" out of miniature props, and I would have them interact in different ways. I'd like to expand on the world I created in my stop motion project, maybe really go into the different spaces that were created, especially the sky. Going into and out of all the windows and openings cut out of the images could be very interesting as well. I'd like to work with the metaphor of "windows" and what is contained inside of them.

3.)This quote also makes me think of filming real people, but in a very very minimal and miniature way. For example, if I were to shoot a scene where two characters were talking, I would never show full shots of the characters, but I would show their minimal motions and hopefully imply character by them. (i.e. smoking a cigarette, twitching feet, moving hands, moving hair behind ears) very mundane motions. I have no idea what the conversation would be about, maybe something very mundane, or maybe there wouldn't need to be any dialogue at all. Could I show (in the most un-cheesy way possible) these character's relationship without words?



some inspiration for those close up "mundane" people shots (the godard portion)...

1 comment:

  1. I think that ideas one and three are very interesting and also very related. I like the idea of focusing not literally on miniature objects but rather miniature moments. Moments that would normally go unnoticed, or taken for granted, thus becoming the main focus of the piece.

    I personally like the aesthetic presented in the first one as it is more graphic and the idea of implementing a graph and/or mathematics in relation to the minimal movement could be very interesting.

    At the same time the idea of creating a dialogue without words could be much more interesting just in terms of evaluating body language and how that speaks more than words. I would have to say that your third idea, to me, presents the most opportunity.

    ReplyDelete