Sunday, January 25, 2009

brandy of the damned (assignment write up)

Conceptually, it's completely stuck on the idea of masks and blending in. I wanted to create some kind of abstract narrative using tinfoil as a way to blend someone into his/her background, the character in the video lets herself be wrapped in tinfoil by anonymous hands. She doesn't resist, instead she makes the tinfoil her own by making a mask out of it. I wanted to make the end of the video and the beginning blend by cutting scenes from the end and splicing quick flashes of them into the beginning. I used these scenes from the end that are spliced in the beginning to create a sort of foreshadowing for the character's fate. As the character is tinfoiled, the flashes progress oppoisite to the direction the original narrative (untinfoiled to tinfoiled) is going. I made it sound a lot more complicated than it really was. In order to create a chaotic atmosphere, I recorded myself playing chaotic accordion music. I brought the handheld recorder to the school and set it in front of the monitor. The sound picked up just like I wanted it to, all nasty and fuzzy, and I think it adds to the chaos of the video. I had some trouble editing on quick time, I wish I could have figured out a way to see where I had copy-pasted cuts from other videos into the final video. I learned a lot about editing in quicktime, and I like how simple it is, I think this kind of editing worked out very well for this video. 

No comments:

Post a Comment