Tuesday, January 27, 2009

critique questions

1. Material choices/processes-I chose to use a character dressed in black with clown-like makeup, tinfoil, a black coat for the background, and an out of tune accordion for the music. I also used a clip lamp to create the lighting I wanted. The process pretty much involved the character sitting in front of the screen, using it as a mirror while she applied more makeup. As she applies makeup, two anonymous hands wrap her in tinfoil, and they hold a banner behind her to show that she has successfully blended into the environment. As far as the editing goes, I wanted to create a very choppy, montage effect to add to the chaos of the movie. 

2. Conceptual process-it pretty much revolves around the idea of blending in, or conforming to a norm. It's an exaggerated version of that idea. I made her makeup very noticeable and almost obnoxious, and I used tinfoil for the same reason. I wanted it to be very flashy and chaotic. The accordion music contributes to the idea of chaos. 

3. I wanted to communicate the idea blending in, and simultaneously wanting to be noticed. The make up is supposed to show the idea of wanting to be noticed while her wearing tinfoil against a tinfoil background shows that she is only blending in to everyone else who wants to be noticed. The music and the setting make for a circus like feel, because this routine of desire to be noticed, and then blending in becomes much like a circus act. 

4.I hope that those attempts are present, but the final work feels a bit tame. I think I could have pushed the ending a little more, and made it less stationary. Maybe I should have experimented more with the movement of the character, or by using an actual mirror instead of implying a mirror with the computer screen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment