Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Superstar response

The beginning shots of Superstar really caught my eye, the color scheme was very strong, and I really would like to imitate the old, faded feel of the colors. At first I wasn't sure how the Barbies were going to pull of such a serious story, but I found myself genuinely concerned about the fate of this Karen Carpenter Barbie. I think that conceptually the Barbies added a layer to the film that people would be unable to add. It seemed to be a comment on the fake fronts America was putting up. Sometimes the film felt like a movie with the random facts about anorexia popping up on the screen, but it worked with the rest of the film, so I didn't mind. Some of my favorite shots were the montages of historical events. Overall, I thought the film was really really clever in how ridiculous it was. It made a really strong statement about the clean fronts US people put up in the 60's put up to cover up the fear and tension that was going on at the time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment